Emergency custody


Dear dadsdilema:

Greetings. You should immediately hire an attorney in the county of the state that she left to deal with the emergency custody issue. The emergency custody is being filed because she left the state with the children.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


A few days ago my daughter left her husband. She had been brow beaten and threatened for years. Her husband and his mother made her sign a paper saying she was leaving on her own accord and then told her to get out. she took the children and went to a friends house as she had no money and no where to go. she called me,her dad, and I sent her money to come to another state where we live as she had no other recourse. Now her husband and his mother are trying to file an emergency custody order. What does this mean? and what should we do?