Equitable Distribution After Divorce

A notarized agreement should be enough. The courts do not have to rule on equitable distribution unless the couple can not agree about division of property. This would include personal belongings such as clothes, pictures, toiletries…etc.
If she has not received child support or alimony and it is due, I suggest that she look into what can be done if she wants to receive any of this. The courts do not instigate this stuff, it has to be one of the parties involved wanting to pursue distribution and payments, then the courts can step in if they can not agree.
Good luck!

If your father is willing to agree a signed and notarized agreement would be sufficient, however if they cannot agree, the issue would be decided by the court.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My parents divorced several years ago. The divorce was granted by a judge who declared in the order that equitable distribution, custody, child support, and alimony would be decided at a later time. Due to a host of reasons, none of this ever happened. The parents jointly own a piece of property in NC. Father is still in NC, but mother is in FL. Mother would like to own the property and feels like it is owed to her considering she never received anything else in the divorce, including alimony, child support, even her clothes and baby picture of me. Would she have to go through the court to get the property? Would a notarized agreement between mother and father be enough to settle?