Equitable Distribution of Assets

The goal of ED is it make sure the assets are allocated equally, for example if there is $30,000 in equity in the house, each party would be entitled to half. However, if the person remaining in the home is paying more debt, then that may reduce the amount of equity they are entitled to. Generally, if you do not have cash on hand and are trying to buy one party out, you would refinance and pull the equity out of the home. Retirement accounts are generally divided equally between the parties, remember when dividing retirement accounts that because they have tax consequences, they do not have the same value as cash.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’m trying to make sure I understand how ED works.

I have a retirement account, and a 403b, and we have a house and that’s pretty much it for Equity. So I put all three of those in the pot. STBX has nothing other than the house as he has chosen not to work consistently…but I digress! Anyway, so we add those things up and let’s say it equals $50,000. Now, do we subtract all of OUR/his/mine debt (like my car loan, any credit cards we individually, etc.) from that and THEN divide it in half? If our debt all added up together equals $30,000 then there’s $20,000 in equity. Is that right? So we’d each be entitled to $10,000? What if neither of us has 10 Grand laying around and I want to keep the house? ARGH! What a mess. I think Tyler Perry has it right with the title of his new movie…Why Did I Get Married!!!