Equitable Distribution

quote:
[i]Originally posted by dong11[/i] [br]My Current wife an I have been married 6 years. She sold her house and moved into my home. I sold it 4 years ago and built a new house in both our names. I used the equity from the farm to build the new house. We are getting a divorce and she wants half the house. Everything else has always been separate except a household checking account. My income, checking, savings, etc, separate from hers. I Put 5 times as much as she did into the current home. Is she intitled to half the house or just the amount she put down on the home, plus half the appreciation, which is what I have offered?
I asked the above question over two weeks ago. Is anyone out there???

If you and your wife can’t come to an agreement on your own then your only option is to involve an attorney. There are too many variables to say for sure what will happen. Remember that they call it “equitable” distribution - not “equal” distribution. It’s probably unreasonable for your wife to expect half of what you contributed to the purchase of your home.

Adrian Parrish

Everything purchased during the marriage will be split 50/50 no matter who pays the bills.

My Current wife an I have been married 6 years. She sold her house and moved into my home. I sold it 4 years ago and built a new house in both our names. I used the equity from the farm to build the new house. We are getting a divorce and she wants half the house. Everything else has always been separate except a household checking account. My income, checking, savings, etc, separate from hers. I Put 5 times as much as she did into the current home. Is she intitled to half the house or just the amount she put down on the home, plus half the appreciation, which is what I have offered?