Ex Child moved out of state

So my ex moved from NC to SC with our 4 year old daughter. She didn’t finish day care and is now living in sc with no vehicle. I’ve tried to be open about it but communication has gotten even worse and I don’t feel safe about it. She’s been there about 2 months. What can i do to get my daughter back in NC? Thank you so much.

You will need to file a custody action in NC since NC still has jurisdiction. NC will have jurisdiction for a custody case as long as the minor child resided in NC for the last 6 months.

The longer you wait, the less likely NC will still have jurisdiction over child custody matters.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.