Ex moving children out of state

My ex husband and I have joint custody of our 3 children. My oldest two (boys) reside primarily with him while my youngest (girl) resides primarily with me. My ex has decided he wants to move 8 hours out of state and wants to take the boys with him. We were told that neither of us could move the children out of state without the other parent’s consent (which I refuse to give). Is there any preventative measures I can take to stop him from taking the boys or do I have to wait until he physically does and then file a court case against him?


Sounds like we have similar issues. Check post above re: “rise to criminal level”.

At least your kids are not on the cusp of homelessness as mine is. My ex may show up here in NC next week (strange as it may sound, I have offered to help her with a church related homeless program but she has to this point thought herself “too good” for such a thing) with our daughter to try to rebuild her life after screwing it up massively in NY, or she may freak out and go on the run, forcing our daughter to live out of a car, all in the name of protecting her ego as a “custodial parent”.

Hope your situation works out.


Sadly my ex is in a similar state as he let our family home go into foreclosure and has to find a place to live in the next 30 days as his year of living rent/mortgage free will be up. I know he will try to play the card that he has no where else to go but he will not be taking my boys if I have anything to do with it. Guess we will have to see where the cards land at this point. Good luck to you as well!