Ex wants to move child out of state

My ex-wife wants to move our 14 year old son to South Carolina because she cannot find a job in our current city. She is her primary caregiver. But, she wants to leave my child with me while she establishes herself in SC. Can I stop her from moving our child? And how hard will it be for her to prove financial hardship?

If you have a permanent court order on child custody, she will have to file a motion to modify if she wants to move the child. A motion to modify requires that she shows a substantial change in circumstances, and that the move will be in the child’s best interests.