Unless your court order or Agreement states otherwise, each party is responsible for costs incurred on behalf of the children while the children are with them.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Child support is supposed to be considered the paying parents portion of the cost to raise a child averaged per month. The amount includes, clothes, food, and shelter. Having primary custody means having daily care and maintenance of the child. Normally, extras are dealt with as needed and by the parent that they are with.
It would seem that your STBX feels that what is payed in child support is all that is needed. I feel this is going a bit extreme. After all, what happens if a child is sick and the custodia parent is not available…

When my STBX has visitation, who is responsible for the incidentals the kids might incur during the stay? For example, if our 16 year old needs spending money (and we regularly provided for it pre-separation) or the 4 year old is invited to Chuck E. Cheese, am I supposed to give them the money even though they aren’t with me since I receive (supposedly) child support? Right now, my STBX will not provide the kids with any money… if they have an activity that comes up during his visitation, I have to go and give them money or they don’t participate.