Father Rights to unborn child

My wife and i have been married a little under a year. and are talking about separating. To many fights and to much has said. it will be a zero fault divorce. but she is now threatening to not allow me on the birth certificate of our child and also threatening to not let me have my share of the custody. As a father do i have any legal rights? There is no doubt the child is mine and i want to be the best father possible but im tired of not being married to the person i dated.

If the child was conceived while you and your wife were married then you are the legal father of the child.

You have equal parenting rights as the mother. If the mother will not let you have any custody or visitation time with the child once the child is born, you can file a child custody action against the mother.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.