Filing a TPR

What are the grounds for the termination? Generally a party cannot terminate their own parental rights, their rights must be taken from them for acting in a manner inconsistent with their constitutionally protected status as a parent. This is different is someone wants to adopt your children.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

She will be 3 in April and he has never seen her or met her to this day. I left him when I was 4 months pregnant because he completely changed who I thought he was when we found out I was pregnant. I didn’t ask for child support until this past couple of months because I didn’t know how he would treat her since he didn’t want her. I didn’t want to ask for support but have been extremely financially struggling since she’s been born. Because of this he tells me he wanted to sign his rights away and didn’t want to be a father and didn’t even want to meet her. He ended up hiring a lawyer to sue for joint custody. When I asked him why he would do that when he doesnt want to be her father, he said because he didn’t want to have to pay me anything. I decided I would rather be financially challenged then put my daughter some place, every other weekend or what not, where she is not wanted. I ended up agreeing to let him terminate his rights. I just thought this would be easier. I didn’t want to hire an attorney because I don’t have $1500.00 to do this. I thought since there will be no fight on either end, I could just go to the court house and do this myself but I don’t know if that is safe on my part. I may not understand the paperwork.

Yvonne Shaw

Because he has failed to see or support your child you may have grounds for termination of parental rights. You can file the petition for termination of parental rights on your own.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hi, I was wondering how does a person file for TPR on their own? I have not been in contact with my 2 year old’s father since Oct 06. I am also filing for divorce (thanks to your website [:)]) on my own. I would like to file them both together since my husband lives in another state and I would like to pay a single fee for the serving of papers. I don’t know his currect address, will I be able to post them together in the paper or do they have to be seperate? He has never paid any child support and I’m struggling financialy so I really want to do this the cheapest way possible, but I also want it to be done correctly. He became a violent person when I was pregnant so I really just need this closer. thank you in advance for your help.

mastewart06

Can I file a TPR petition without an attorney? The father and I have both agreed to have his rights terminated. He has an attorney and said that I would have to be the one to file the petition and he will not contest it. He also says we will not have to go to court for this. Once I file the TPR petition, he will repsond and have papers ready for us to sign and he will go and have the judge sign it. I’m confused because I’m really trying to get out of this situation without paying so much in lawyers fees because quite frankly, I’m broke but when I called a lawyer to see what their charge was, they state that we will indefinetly have to go to court and stand before the judge. Is that true? Please help!!

Yvonne Shaw