Filing for divorce

If he filed for divorce, he then has to have you “served” with the summons and complaint if he wants the divorce to be granted. He can do that by mail, certified, return receipt requested, or he can request that a deputy or other process server bring it to you. He has to have you served before he can obtain a divorce. He can’t put a filing on “hold”. He either filed it or he didn’t. You don’t have to pay for it.

David L. McGuire
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

We were on good terms at the time, and he gave me the papers which I signed and returned to him. He then said his attorney had filed the papers.

Thank you for you help.

My husband and I have been seperated for over a year. We have completed our seperation agreement. He served me with divorce papers which he said he would pay for. He told me they were being filed. Now he says he has put the filing on hold until I pay him for the divorce. How do I find out if the papers have been filed? Can he put a filing on hold?