Serving Divorce Papers

You have to try to serve the divorce complaint on her at her last known address by sheriff and certified mail. If that fails, then you can serve by publication. See our website for more information.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

After a one year separation and I file for divorce, it’s my understanding the papers HAVE to be served to my wife. Whether via registered email, the sheriff however. Correct? My question is what if I have no knowledge of her where abouts at this time so that she can get the papers?