Don't know where ex can i file for divorce?

Hi alliecat684
I picked this up on this site
If attempts to serve my spouse by certified mail and/or by sheriff does not work for an absolute divorce, what is my next step?
If attempts to serve my spouse by certified mail and/or by sheriff does not work for an absolute divorce, what is my next step?
A final, alternative method is a process called “Notice of Service of Process by Publication”.

I hope this works my question is why does the attorney need to know where he is in this state you can file for the “D” after one year one day of the sep and you do not need to have an attorney to file for it as well.
When my ex did this and I was in court with this POS for other court issues and when they where over I just walked out I did not need to be there and I never recieved anything about my “D”.
One thing I will tell you and I hope I am wrong the attorneys that rep her and me where all garbage I had iron clad sep agg but they where in the back, taking out money and I told the ex this and she is the one that caused all this court crap. What I am trying to say is I hope you do not get taking to the cleaners like I did know your rights and this site will give you what you need to know.
Good luck to you hope get it done fast

If you have his last known address you should attempt to serve him there via certified mail. If that fails and you have an idea of where he works, spends free time, etc. you can try and have him served there by Sheriff or private process serve. If both of those methods fail you can serve him via publication. Here is some additional information regarding service by publication;

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Since we have seperated, my ex has been jumping from state to state, from job to job to avoid child support. I am trying to get a divorce from him, but my lawyer is saying that I absolutely HAVE to have his current address so they can serve him with divorce papers. So how am I EVER going to get a divorce from him if I can’t find out where he is, and when he won’t stay in one place for more than a month???