Don't know ex's address

If you have no clue of how to get intouch with your ex then I will contact his employer then contact his next of kin by certified mail if that fails you need to put an ad in the paper then that will show you have exhausted all means on getting in touch with him. but he does not need to be present for you to get a divorce.

Before you can put an add in the paper you must attempt to serve him via certified mail at his last known address, if that is unsuccessful and you have some idea of where he might be you should attempt personal service. If you cannot serve him via personal service, then you can place an ad in the paper at his last known address.

Additional information on service via publication can be found here:

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

As far as him refusing to sign; after delivery he’ll have 30 days to sign or give an answer to what he disagrees with. If he does neither, the hearing will go as scheduled. If he shows up the judge will hear his concerns, if he doesn’t, generally the court sees this as him not contesting the action and will grant it pretty much in your favor. My ex didn’t sign, didn’t show up for court, didn’t do anything involved in the divorce. I (on paper) got everyting I asked for. I paid for it all myself and am still waitning on the money he still owes me. It took about a month longer because he refused to even pick up the registered mail.

I am just planning on going to the courthouse and getting everything I need to do this divorce myself. The only problem I have is that I don’t know where the ex is living. I know the last address he lived at, which is his sister’s place. How can I go about getting the papers to him? I don’t know if she would help me out and hand them over to him. Can I just put an ad in the paper? How does that work? Also, if he does get the papers, what happens if he doesn’t sign?