Filing Papers

Can I file divorce papers prior to the end of the 1 year separation and do I need to have separation papers filed prior?

You must have lived separate from your spouse for one year and one day before filing for divorce. You need not have separation papers prior for filing, however if you have outstanding property or spousal support issues however, these issues must either be settled by a separation agreement, or file claims for the same with the court to preserve them.