Financial responsibility prior to separation agreement

I am separated from my wife and moved out of the martial home over two months ago. Even though we have agreed on the basics of a settlement for the separation agreement, my wife has been unwilling to follow through with the agreement. She is currently unemployed and living in the martial home. I have continued to pay all of the bills both for the home and her personal expenses. However, with the separation agreement not moving forward, I was wondering what are my financial obligations during this time until an agreement is signed?

Any guidance would be helpful!

Without a separation agreement or court order, you have no contractual or court-ordered responsibility to pay your wife anything. However, it’s usually a good idea to make voluntary support payments if you are a supporting spouse and your wife is a dependent spouse.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.