Foreign Custody order - enforceable in NC?

You can register your custody order in this state, it is not the same as registering a foreign support order, but very similar. Jurisdiction belongs in North Carolina, you will need to file an action in Wisconsin to decline jurisdiction and once it is granted you will need to file a motion to modify in North Carolina. The court has the ability to order that the children remain in this state.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Custody Order in place in Wisconsin states that mom and dad have equal shared physical placement with no support from either party.

Mom moved daughter to NC about 9 months ago. Dad didn’t make a huge deal of it and simply moved to NC too. Mom is beginning to threaten a move back to Wisconsin. We want to make sure that she can’t do that.

Mom has made NC daughter’s residence. Daughter has been enrolled in school the entire school year. Mom has a NC driver’s license, filed taxes in NC, etc.

How do we make certain that mom can’t continue to move daughter on a whim?
Do we use the Notice of Registration of Foreign Support Order even though there is no “support” for either party?