Registration of foreign order

Dear towergirl:

Greetings. Without looking at the litigation history, I cannot tell you which document you will need to register. Some things must actually be reviewed. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Ms. Fritts,
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer! In 1998 I gave him legal custody with his parents having physical custody. In 2002 he requested physical custody in order to take them to NC, which was granted. Since the 2002 order, there have been modifications regarding visitation (due to a move on my part) and child support. Should I register the 2002 order since that was the “custody order”? All orders since then have pertained to visitation and child support, but nothing else regarding custody. And I guess, now that I read it, I don’t think OH did have jurisdiction to deal with visitation. But that is my fault…I did a lot of this pro se and am learning as I go!

Thanks again for your help and professionalism…

Dear towergirl:

Greetings. I would register the orders (all of them) which the court will need to understand the situation. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

In the event that NC DOES have jurisdiction (refering to my other post on this site), I am a little confused about WHICH order to register. The order granting his physical custody and permission to move the children to NC was in Nov. 2002…but since then, there have been several modifications regarding visitation and child support. So I register my most recent order (that order has a modification of child support) or do I register the one stating that he can move the children to NC? OR…lol…sorry, do I register all of them!? I asked the clerk in his county, and of course, they couldn’t tell me.

Thanks for all of your help.