Fraud imagration marriage

Unfortunately, no matter what the circumstances, there is no way to shorten the one year waiting period.

You can legally change your name before the divorce, but it will be easier to do it if you wait until the divorce is granted. There is no reason you cannot begin using your maiden name socially, as long as you provide your legal name on official documents.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

also, if you are worried about him using you for his papers, talk to whoever is on charge of his his INS case. Tell them of your suspicions about being used.

I was married Nov.04 and i thought this was true love.Well my husband is from Niger(africa) he told me he was not marrying me for his paper, during our marriage he would leave home and stay away days at a time.In Feb.07 he receive his conditional green card , he left for work in April 07 and never return home, he left for his country in Aug. 07 and replied when he get back he was coming home. Well my eyes is open now and i would like a divorce ,because this marriage was based on fraud. My question is, have the court ever over looked a 1 yr seperation?The reason i ask is because i feel his coming back to finish using me for his papers.And if i can change my last name back to my maiden during this 1 yr seperation?Desperate to move on with my life and find a real husband.