Name change after divorce

Nope. Her name is her choice.

Nope. Nothing you can do about her name. She can change it or not change it the choices is her’s. I would have your mom notify the credit agency’s of what is going on so it doesn’t ruin her credit.

Unfortunately, you cannot make her change her name.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am doing a Do-it-yourself Divorce and my wife would like to have her name changed back to her maiden name. I would also like for this to take place but do not know how to go about doing this. In the Judgement I put in that “That the Defendant be granted the use of her former/maiden name ______________ until said time as the Defendant sees fit to discontinue use of said name.” I’m just not sure whether or not this is worded correctly.

Michael Reavis

You cannot force her to resume her maiden name. The wording in the judgment will be stricken unless she has filed an answer and counterclaim to resume the use of her maiden name.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

When I filed for my divorce, I wanted my ex to change her name back to her maiden name or whatever she wanted. She asked if I would remove that from the filing because she had just paid to get a new license and resident alien card, etc. She verbally agreed to change it within 6 months, and it hasn’t happened yet. She’s using her middle name now (which is the same as my mother’s first name) and my mom is getting collection calls and collection letters on a daily basis. Is there any way I can go back to the court and demand that she drop my family’s surname? I know it seems petty, but it’s creating problems and this snake oil salesman doesn’t deserve the right to run my family’s name through the mud.