Free divorce help while one party is incarcerated


Dear ladypitbull:

Greetings. I know of no such service. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I read on one message board (I can’t remember where) that a person can get free or discounted legal help in a divorce when one party is incarcerated. I have been separated since Sept. 2004 and have not been able to afford an attorney to help me with my divorce. I have 2 children by the marriage and property to be taken care of. My ex is incarcerated in Goldsboro until June 2007. I have an active DVO order in place as well. I really want my divorce finalized before he gets out of prison. Is there any help out there for me? I am in Currituck County.