Free-Trader Agreement


Dear agjones:

Greetings. You should just contact your insurance company and tell them that you do not want to split up the coverage and that you plan on continuing to pay them jointly despite any information they have to the contrary. Even separated couples can keep the same insurance.

On a separate note, lying was probably not the best option for you, although I totally understand why you did it. Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My wife and I are not separated, not planning on it and not getting divorced.

Our current home is financed by her alone and we are both on the title/deed.

I am however trying to buy property on my own to fix up/sell without putting her at any risk should my investment turn sour. I told the lender that the new residence will be my primary residence…to get a good deal…it seemed like a good idea at the time. We have a free trader agreement.

The problem now is my insurance company is splitting up all our coverages because we are separated…it seems like a mess.

I close on the house on Friday. After closing what do I need to do to fix all this?