Full disclosure?

Wow you gave her a yearly increase and alimony for 8 years? I hope that you guys didn’t do that agreement without a lawyer because it sounds like you got screwed!

Unless you signed something in those papers saying you have to, I see no reason for you to have to disclose your income to her. If she wants to know it, let her file papers and try to convince a judge.

I agree. If there is nothing in the agreement stating that full disclosure of income must be made to other spouse each year, then you do not have to disclose your income. You only have to pay what was agreed on. If she believes that your income has increased enough to warrant modifying child support, then she will need to file for it. Child support can be modified upon a 15% change of income or lifestyle, and can be modified or “looked at” again every 3 years through the state regardless of any change. If your income decreases 15% or more you can also file for modification to decrease the amount of support you pay. I don’t think this affects alimony though…

It depends on the terms of the agreement, if the agreement does not require you to disclose your income then you have no specific obligation to do it. However, if she believes you have not disclosed your income fully she could file an action for breach of contract.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex and I are legally separated with an executed Separation Agreement signed by both of us and notarized. In it are the specific dollar amounts of alimony I must pay (including annual fixed dollar amount - not percentage - of my bonus) each of the 8 years of its duration. Child support is also spelled out with language for increases per guidelines each year until they are 18. My ex claims that I still, by law, must make full financial / income disclosure to her every year that i must pay child support. I say that as long as I meet the payments spelled out by the agreement that I do not. Is she right or am I? Thanks.