OOPS! I mispelled Garnishment! Sorry!

It is done through the clerks office if your child support was handled through the court or through child support enforcement if they handled your child support issues. The local clerk’s office should have forms to help you do this. Generally you only have to do a new garnishment when you change employers or the amount of child support is changed.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

How does a garnishment work? Is there a fee to have it done? I have a court order to garnish my ex’s wages for my payments. Do I go to the local courthouse to set it up or should I get a lawyer to do it? I also get a 5% increase in my payments every August. Will I have do do a new garnishment every year? Thanks!