Gifted land buildt house


Dear goose_88_2001:

Greetings. The answer is that you should only have to pay her for the marital portion, but if you increase the value of a marital asset, like a house, how can you determine accurately what is the marital portion and what is separate. Basically, due to the type of asset, if you improve it you are likely to give her half of the entire value.

I don’t understand your second question. Please ask it again in a different way. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


hey land is gifted from my father solely in my name and we started building a house on it when we separated it was about half finished. Can I go ahead and finish the house and only have to pay what was done to the house at the time of separation or if I finish it do I have to pay her for what it is worth when I finish? So other words do I just have to pay her the value of the unfinished house at time of separation or do I have to pay her the value of what I have finished to that point? Another question is do I have to pay her half of anything that isn’t paid on the house or half of all the things that have leans on them. Or can I get by with only paying what is clear and paid on the house. before time of separation and nothing after separation.