Grandparents rights


Dear brucesandrea:

Greetings. If the mother and father are an intact family and not harming the children, grandparents generally have little to no rights. I would suggest that your parents speak with attorney directly about their situation. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am trying to find out some information about grandparents rights to vistitation. Long story short, my sister-in-law and family are mad at my parents for calling social services on them over the kids having had lice for two years. They said that the children will never be around them again. So far that has come true and my parents are devastated because they have a very close relationship with the kids. My brother and sister-in-law lived with my parents since the children were born until recently.Is there anything they can do? The kids are suffering too.

andrea valentine