Health care question

My wife and I separated in August 2009, after 21 years of marriage. We are going to voluntary mediation this week. We are both employed, I earn $96k, she earns $60k. I work for a small business, where I own a small percentage. My majority owner is aware of my situation, as I had to get permission to send company financial data in discovery. We have two children, ages 19 and 16. I am carrying all four of us on my employer’s health care policy. Children will stay on my policy. My owner is telling me she wants my wife off of our policy by first of next year. Reasons are obvious: been separated for well over a year, wife has access to her own insurance through her employer. If we come to terms in mediation, this will take care of itself. But if we don’t, I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

I’m no expert, but after divorce I’m not sure you can continue to have her on your policy anymore.

You are allowed to carry her legally up to the date of actual divorce as physically separation is not considered a life changing event here in NC as it is not a change in legal status.