Health insurance

Dear maverick:

Greetings. It depends on whether or not your spouse is dependent. If your spouse is a dependent spouse (she needs your income to live at the same standard she is now living), then I would strongly advise you against cancelling the same. If she is not a dependent spouse, then you are free to cancel her coverage. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorcecom
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What determines a dependent spouse? She works and makes more per hr as discussed in the topic “Alimony”. She is depending on me for health insurance at the moment. She has stated that the doctor she is employed by, may offer or will be offering her health insurance shortly. I visit the Veteran’s Administration for all health related issues and no insurance is needed because I’m a disabled Veteran. That’s why I don’t need the insurance. I’m basically paying for it so that she’ll have coverage.

Dear maverick:

Greetings. It does not sound to me like she is dependent, but you really need to talk to an attorney in your county to draft an agreement and protect all your income and determine the relevant case law on point due to her new career…

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorcecom
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My spouse and I are having martial problems and may be seperating soon. I have health insurance thru my federal employer. This is a family plan that covers my wife and I. She has stated that I am required by NC law to maintain this coverage if we seperate. I don’t need or use this insurance and certainly want to cancel if we do seperate. Is this the case? Am I legally obligated to maintain health insurance for my spouse?