Health Insurance

Dear Sandy:

Greetings. Your Husband can carry you on his insurance until the date of divorce. The fact that you live in a separate place does not matter. After he removes you from the insurance, you will also be given the option of maintaining “COBRA.”

The court can order him to keep you on the insurance and you can both agree to do this in a separation agreement. If there was some fault on your side, you can even ask that he maintain you on the insurance and you pay the premium. If you have any type of health issue, send him a letter and let him know what it is, that you need to remain on the health insurance, and that you would be irreparably harmed if he does not maintain you on the insurance in the same manner as he always has. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Does this mean that I can get a court order that states after we are divorced he must continue to carry me on his insurance? or does this only work through the sepration timeframe? He is fine with keeping me on the insurance during the seperation time frame.

Dear Sandy:

Greetings. Depending on the circumstances you may be able to have him keep you on his insurance after the date of divorce. You can do this in a separation agreement of by going to court. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My spouse and I are seperated and his company has always carried the health/dental insurance on myslef and the kids. I know that he can continue to carry the kids on the insurance, but what type of time frame is there for my coverage since we no longer reside at the same address. Is there any way that he can be forced to continue to carry me on the Family Plan?

Thanks in advance, you were very helpful on a previous question. This is very helpful and I would hire you folks if you were in my area!