Health insurance

Yes, she can carry them on her insurance. They are probably making this change due to the cost of the insurance through her work may not be as much. My husband carried his children on his insurance and had his ex not gotten a job with much better insurance I would have been carrying them on mine due to the premiums and deductible amounts. EDIT: They ARE related to her since their father married her. She is their stepmother. The same would be true if you remarry someone with children from a previous marriage.
I’m not certain if he can still use the amount.
My husband’s ex carries their children on her insurance since her insurance is less and covers more. He pays her for that cost since he was court ordered to cover them on insurance. I would be happy if we had ANY dentist in network with my insurance…
As long as the children are covered by insurance and the husband is ultimately the one paying, then there is not really a problem.

He can claim the cost of the insurance, if there is a cost, even though it is paid through is new wife’s insurance policy.

As long as the rules of the plan permit her to claim stepchildren it is legal. Most plans will allow you to claim children and step children.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

my ex husband remarried and effective Jan 1st will put our children on his new wife’s health insurance which she recieves as a benefit from her job. This new policy is not as comphrehensive as what we had, but I guess I do not have a say since he was court ordered to pay for their health insurance. It will require us to change dentists. Two questions:

1)In the child support calculation am I assuming correctly that he can not claim the cost of their health insurance as he is not paying for it now (it is a benefit from new wife’s job)

1. Is is legal for new wife to claim them on a family plan at her work when these children are not related to her. I do not know if ex husband is on her plan or not. They spend no overnights at his house and i have sole physical custody. I guess I just don’t know how health plans are set up by businesses. It just seems funny that she can claim these children as dependents and they do not even live with them.