Health Insurance

Did you have an agreement for custody and support?

Yes, there is a custody agreement. In that agreement I was required to pay 50% of the health/dental insurance costs…and I have done so. Due to some recent disputes and subsequent anger, she says she wants to take the son off of her coverage.
Adding him to my plan is more costly. Can I legally require her to pay 50% of the coverage under my employer’s plan. The son is 18 and starts college this Fall.

Since the agreement states you are to pay 50% of insurance cost, then it would stand to reason that she would be paying the other 50%. Insurance companies would not appreciate only being paid 1/2 their money. The only way that she could get out of this is if the agreement states you are to pay this until the age of 18…if college is not mentioned then I’m not sure that there is a lot that can be done. Check the wording of the signed agreement and see if it says to the age of 18. If that is the case, then my suggestion is that you talk with your son and explain this situation to him. Let him know that you will be covering him on your medical insurance. If you think that he can do it, ask that he pay you part of the cost back since he’s legally an adult…just an option…
You can only cover him as long as he’s a full time student or until the age of 21 I believe…

No, once your child turns 18 and graduates high school the court cannot order either of you to provide support, including health insurance.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Our 18-year old son has graduated high school and is on his way to college. He has been covered under my ex-wife’s health/dental policy, of which I give her half the cost each month.
Due to constant disagreements, the ex wants to remove the 18-year old from her employer health insurance plan and require me to cover him while he’s in college. If we switch to my coverage, is she required to then give half of the monthly insurance amount?

Kevin Suggs