Hearsay

I know that sometimes the rules in family court are more relaxed. But how to I testify or question my stbx about things my child has told me, without his lawyer objecting? I am going to assume that he is not going to be very happy with me since the first thing I plan to do is impeach his client. Not to mention he has been rude and condescending already, I’m guessing since I am pro se.

Something to note, my daughter will be at the courthouse. She is almost 9 and would actually like to speak to the judge. She has even made notes about what she wishes to tell him because she is afraid she will forget something. So, she will be available to verify the statements, although I would hope in chambers as opposed to being on the stand.

You can call your daughter to testify however, it will be up to the judge to determine whether or not she is competent to testify. Generally, the older the child the more competent they will be. If determined competent (capable of telling the truth and articulating feelings, etc.), then the judge may decide to have your daughter testify in open court or in judge’s chambers by the parties’ consent. I will caution you that nine years-old is typically very young to be testifying.

You can also question the father about certain events that your daughter told you about. This would be done during your cross examination of him.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.