Is your daughter also HIS daughter? If not, I wonder why he has legal guardianship in the first place. If it IS his daughter too, then I would think you could file suit for custody…unless there is a reason why you can’t.

In order to get a restraining order you would have to prove that the son is a danger to your child.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex boyfriend has legal guardianship on my daughter. He has a son from a previous marriage. The son is a felon & lives with my ex. Im worried because the son is hanging around the wrong crowd. Is it legal & a good idea 2 put a restraining order out on his son and/or my ex or to get my daughter out of harms way? Or am I screwed.