Home appraisal


My husband and I own a home together. I have stayed in the home, while he has moved out. We are amicable. We still have a joint savings account which we intend to divide 50/50. I contributed to his student loans and we have agreed on splitting the amount paid 50/50. We do not want to touch each other’s 401ks. We do not have an MSA signed, but we have agreed on these things verbally. We have been separated for 6 months.

I am at the point where I need to take steps to refinance the home and take his name off the title. I understand I need an appraiser but I don’t know what to do first. What step should I take first and what process should be followed? Thank you



You will need to enter into a separation agreement to make the agreed upon terms binding and enforceable. You will want to include that the marital residence is to become your sole and separate property and that your husband shall cooperate as needed in order for you to refinance (i.e. sign a deed, sign a free trader agreement, etc.).

In conjunction with the separation agreement, go ahead and reach out to mortgage lenders about their requirements to refinance. Oftentimes your husband can sign the deed and free trader contemporaneously with the refinance rather than before. Don’t get an appraisal done until you have direction from your lender about when to have that done.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.