Homes, separation and divorce

We have been separated for 5 years now. We own two houses, one he lives in and the one I live in with our two children. My question is, can we keep the houses as is under both of our names, he pays his mortgage and I pay mine and stipulate in the separation agreement that we will each refinance the mortgages within a year. Are we able to do this and move forward with the divorce?

Yes, if this is an equitable property settlement, then it is possible to enter into a separation agreement that says Husband keeps one house and mortgage as his sole and separate property and Wife keeps the other as her sole and separate property.

The separation agreement will need to state that any joint mortgages shall be refinanced within a certain amount of time (usually 120-180 days) into the sole and separate name of the party keeping the corresponding home. The separation agreement should also state that contemporaneously with the closing on the refinance, the other party shall execute a quitclaim deed conveying his/her interest to the party keeping the house.

Once a separation agreement is fully executed which fully resolves equitable distribution, then you can file for absolute divorce.

You should not file for absolute divorce until either equitable distribution is fully resolved or the claim for equitable distribution is pending with the courts at the time the absolute divorce judgment is entered.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.