Homeschool Rights

My wife has home-schooled our children since they were born. (6) children, ages 19 down to 8 years old. The oldest just transferred to college.

She has acquired an attorney and her attorney is drafting a separation agreement. Currently I’m still in the home.

Do I have to agree to allow her to continue home-schooling the children, especially after 7th grade?

What would be required in order for me to secure this agreement to force her to stop? Lawsuit? What grounds would be reasonable that a judge would support?

The quality of her work is very good, but I object to her worldview that is being taught to the kids, long periods of unsupervised time with the older children, lack of internet monitoring, and the biggest concern is the dependency of the children on her. There are others that relate to my faith and social skills.

I am committed to paying for private school for 4 of these children; the 5th and oldest will likely transfer to college next year. I would let the children and my wife choose the school they attend.

She, obviously, doesn’t work outside of the home.

Thank you

You do not have to agree for the mother to continue homeschooling the children.

If neither parent can agree on the terms of a custody or child support order, then one of the parents will have to file litigation against the other. You can do this if neither of you can agree on the homeschooling issue, however, a judge will strongly consider the fact that each child has always been homeschool and may or may not be willing to change this. A judge will want to keep a child’s life as normal as possible despite their parents’ separate and divorce.

You may be able to reach a compromise where the mother homeschools the children until a certain grade, and then they transition to a different school setting.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.