House/ Taxes

My husband and I have been separated 6 months and are filing separately taxes.
Who gets to use the interest on the house on their return? Or can we both use half?

If there is not a separation agreement that covers this, you should discuss this with your CPA to determine who should take the deduction or refer to Publication 504 for the answer.

50/50 is what you should use.

If one party had sole possession of the property and paid the majority of the mortgage interest, a 50/50 split of the deduction may not be appropriate and my not be easily agreed upon by both parties. That is why I suggested you consult with your CPA for the best way to divide the deduction.

Thank you both, I’m fine with the 50/50, he lived here half the year. I thought I read that we could do that, just couldn’t find that