How do I file contempt of court when he refuses to sell

My divorce is final. I had an attorney negotiate a DRO and agreement to place the house on the market by Feb. 1, 2018. He has refused to sell the house and is ignoring all attempts to contact him. His attorney has withdrawn because he is ignoring her as well. My attorney wants thousands of additional money to file contempt of court of which I can not afford. Can I file contempt or breech of contract on my own since the agreement is already filed, it just needs to be enforced by a judge?

If the terms to sell the house are included in a court order, then you would need to file a contempt motion (called a motion and order to appear and show cause). If the terms are in a separation agreement, then you would need to file a breach of contract lawsuit.

You can file either on your own but you would need to make sure you include the proper wording in your motion or complaint and be able to prove to the judge that he has indeed no sold the house and he is required to do so. And if you file a contempt motion, you will need to prove that he has had the ability to comply with the court order but has not.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.