How do I file for divorce from room and board?


My wife has been abusive and harmful to our marriage for a long time. When she couldn’t get me to leave our home she changed the locks and filed a dvpo. After that was dismissed, she moved out of the home without notice. Now she’s turned off the utilities, also without notice. I have ample evidence of her misconduct over the years, behavior which falls under 5 of the 6 categories of misconduct for filing this action. The problem is that because of this situation she’s put me in, I can’t afford to pay for legal help and I’m having a hard time figuring out how to proceed with filing the action on my own. Any advice?
I’ve been to the courthouse, called Legal Aid of NC, and a couple other places. No one seems to be able to help me


Take a look at our Sample Court Complaint that you can use as a guide to draft your own.

Also, you can get access to a library of legal forms and communicate with an attorney through our Rosen Online Service. This service only costs $199/month, and could be a great resource for you to handle your separation and divorce issues without spending thousands of dollars retaining an attorney.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.