How does court ordered mediation work?

Dear CORRIN2000:

Greetings. First, there is no court ordered mediation for child support, only for child custody (and visitation).

Second, the mediator does not make decisions, but tries to help you both come to understandings and agreements on your children’s living arrangments. The mediator will not make any decisions or orders on her own, even if you cannot compromise. If you cannot compromise, you will have to wait for another day in court with a different judge to get a decision on custody. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex-husband and I have been ordered for court-ordered mediation for visitation and child support. The mediator is also a judge, and if we agree that day, the papers will be filed and signed by her on that day, and our long battle will finally be over.
My questions are: Will the mediator take it upon herself and tell us what will be in the order or will she only mediate the issues that we have to deal with?
If we can’t compromise, will she just order the changes in the motion filed and then it will be final or will she say the mediation is not working and order us to go to court at a later time?
Thanks so much for your help!