How hard is it to get supervised visitation only?

I would suggest you offer him visitation in a supervised setting and see if he agrees. If he does not agree you do not have to give him visitation unless ordered by the court. I do not typically suggest that someone withhold visitation, but it may be warranted by the facts in your case. You should consult with an attorney and review the specific facts of your case before taking any action.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Out of the blue, my soon to be ex husband calls today. He hasn’t called in over a year to see how his son is, and hasn’t seen him since the day he moved out over 2 years ago. I have been through a lot with this guy, from him cutting computer cords, kicking in almost every door in the house, and burning my clothes. He even said he was going to burn the house down, and I have a bullet hole through my bedroom floor. This guy (I won’t call him a man) is very unstable, and I would be scared to have my son around him. Would there be any way a judge would grant for him to have supervised visitation only? Or will I have no choice but to let him take my son out of state during the summer and every other holiday, like my ex wants? He lives all the way in Michigan. My son is 3.5 years old, and the ex hasn’t seen him since he was 1. I know I have to let ex see him, but I want to make sure it’s supervised.