How to Properly Serve a Civil Summons for Child Support (Johnston County)

I am unrepresented and opposing party has an attorney. I have downloaded and filled out the proper CIVIL SUMMONS documents for my child support complaint. It appears I need to have the Deputy CSC sign it. After this, how do I properly serve the opposing party. Can I drop them off to his attorney’s office and do I need to do anything else when serving the papers?

If this will be a new court action, then you need to file the complaint and have the clerk’s office issue the Civil Summons. Once that is done, you can serve the other side by certified mail return receipt requested, sheriff’s deputy, or the other side’s attorney can accept service by signing and filing an Acceptance of Service.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you very much!

The non-custodial parent is self-employed in Pennsylvania. At what point and how do I ask for documents. I want to see three years of tax returns, his banking records for the past year at least, and a list of all of his clients and their contact information. Thank you!

If the other party will not voluntarily provide this documentation and you have a court case pending for child support, then you will need to file formal discovery (request for production of documents, interrogatories, etc.) in order to force the other party to provide them.

Formal discovery gives you the means to ask the court to compel him to provide the documents, or risk contempt of court, if he does not comply with your reasonable formal discovery requests.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.