Documents for child support

My husband had to take all of this information with him to court when he filed for custody. (Child support was included in their original court hearing/agreement). He had to have all his finacial records including tax returns for the previous two years and payroll check stubs. I’m not certain about real estate records because their ED was also involved in this and it was preliminary. His subpeona had everthing that he was supposed to bring to the hearing. They both had attorneys though so if you are filing without legal representation, I’m not exactly sure how you request this.
I would think that if she filed for child support she would be required by the agency to provide this information to them and they would send you a request for the same…

You do have the right to request these documents, you can issue a subpoena for the documents or you can send a discovery request. It is your choice. A subpoena will need to be issued to the clerk of court and will need to require her to bring the documents to a court hearing, discovery can require her to send the documents directly to you.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My Ex has filed for child support.
Our previous agreement that she signed stated that we were not asking for child support from each other for anything.
I have paid half of all my sons bills that I was made aware of over the last two years.

I have uncovered some information that shows evidence that she is not reporting her income properly, on purpose or not, is irrelevant.

In any case in addition to documents that are covered under the Local Nc rules I would also like to request that she submit to me :

  1. All paperwork regarding real estate transactions for the last two years.

  2. Her last two years tax returns

  3. Her last years worth of banks statements from Sept. 2007 to present where she is listed as the primary or secondary signer ( think she is hiding money in other bank accounts that someone else opened and has her listed as the secondary signer).

Do I have a right to request these documents? If so, Do I subpoena them or file a motion for discovery or to compel?