Child support

You should list the household expenses that you incur, even if someone else is paying them on your behalf.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’m going to court in a couple of weeks to adjust the noncustodial parent’s child support obligations - he missed some payments so they’re recalculating.

I’m supposed to bring proof of my income, a list of household expenses and proof of expenses specific to the child.

I’m worried that turning over a list of household expenses will reveal to my ex that I’m living with someone. My partner keeps my son while I work in the evenings, and I’m not responsible for rent or the majority of household expenses, nor do I pay for daycare. Should I still include the rent, gas bill and electricity even though I don’t pay it? Or can I just say “here’s my income information, grocery bills, car insurance, cell phone, and monthly things I buy for my son” and leave out the household expenses I don’t pay?

I know that my partner’s information won’t be used to calculate child support, I just don’t want to be grilled about where I’m living and give my ex information he could use to stalk us.