My options?

If your spouse has not been consistently paying the correct amount of child support and you cannot afford to retain private counsel you should contact Child Support Enforcement. Their website is They can assist you for little or no charge, hopefully that will improve your financial situation.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My three year old daughter and I moved out of our house into an apartment on March 1st. I left the house to my ex and just took my daughter and our clothes and a few furnishings. He is an alcoholic, abuses drugs, and not faithful to me at all in our three years of marriage. I also took with me $36,000 in credit card debt that was in my name only, but was created together, and actually most of his stuff. Due to this fact, I am now having to file bankruptcy as I can not afford to support my daughter on my own and pay off this huge debt. He agreed to pay half her daycare expenses which are $260 a month since we both work. But since I have left, he has not paid me this full amount even once. How can I afford to make him pay this and help me out? Since I am filing bankruptcy, I have no credit cards that I can use to retain a lawyer for help and I all my excess money went to the bankruptcy lawyer. I can’t afford help, but I can’t afford not to get help. What are my options???

Sheri Ackerson