Child Support 2

no. I suppose there have been instances when the parent providing support has filed a suit against the custodial parent about support not being used for it’s intended purpose, but on a regular basis you do not need to provide that nor can the other party demand that.

There are some instances where you can request a receipt. My husband and his ex has it in their papers that he will reimburse her for clothing cost within 30 days with the presentation of itimized receipt…

Generally though, mal is correct. You could request it but it doesn’t have to be provided. In a perfect world, child support money would be put into an account and then anything that would pertain to the child could be paid out of that account. But then you have to figure in things like partial housing, electricity, gas and transportation costs. Regardless of whether you agree with it or not, as long as you are paying what you are ordered to pay, the courts do not care what it is spent on. And unless something has changed, the amount of child support does not have to be turned in as income…

No, receipts are not required. If you are sharing medical expenses you generally need to provide receipts for those expenses.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

When paying child support, does the parent with custody have to provide receipts to the parent paying the support to verify correct use of funding? Thanks