How to respond to divorce papers

I just got served my divorce papers. My ex husband and I agree on all terms contained in the separation agreement attached. Do I need to sign or send a written response? Not sure what is the actual process in this case.

If you are in agreement and not contesting anything, you do not need to file an answer in response to the complaint you were served. If you do not respond, then the judge will likely grant the absolute divorce assuming you were properly served and all other requirements and elements have been met.

Alternatively, you could file an answer admitting to each of the allegations in the complaint.

Check out our article Absolute Divorce - The Details which explains the court process about halfway through.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.