I need assistance

good evening,
I have written previously in regards to my son diagnosed with Autism. He is currently 16 and all of a sudden my ex has filed for custody. He is currently 10 k in child support arrears and the last statement in court regarding the arrears the judge ruled willful neglect and wonton of a minor. Now all of a sudden he sent paperwork for custody. Mind you he was issued a B50 in the past which has expired. with that said he served me papers via email wothout a court date and after numerous attempts will not provide. After calling the court house numerous times they have not responded. so I rewrote my ex in regards to the calendar date and he stated that I missed the mediation dated Nov. 30th and after going back to the email I see that he forwarded that however it was whited out and changed. Please advise on what to do. I have had to provide for 4 children for the last 8 years solely and I do not want to lose my child to someone who only cares about money and not my child. I have spent all of my childrens college money on attorneys and I have no more.

Unless you were served by sheriff’s deputy or certified/registered mail (or FedEx/UPS package with signature required), then you were not properly served with the father’s custody action or motion in the cause. Email is not proper service. Therefore, the court cannot issue any orders against you because you have not been given proper notice of the lawsuit or the motion in the cause against you.

You can get access to a library of legal forms and communicate with an attorney through our Rosen Online Service. This service only costs $199/month, and could be a great resource for you to handle this custody issue without spending thousands of dollars retaining an attorney.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.