If ordered to pay child support to my ex wife


Dear nurse:

Yes, the grandfather should receive the funds, but you will need to petition the court to make this happen if there is a court order directing child support payments. If dad pays child support to grandfather instead of to mom, and dad is ordered to pay to mom, dad will be in trouble. Therefore, you must change the order.

You should immediately speak with the North Carolina Child Support Enforcement. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


If there is a court order to pay child support…and the 18 year old child is still actively enrolled in a high school program and working toward graduation in December 2004…and the child does not reside with the custodial parent, but with his grandfather…WHO should legally get the child support??? Can’t I petition the court for an order to pay the child support to the grandfather that is providing room and board, food, clothing…transportation??

If so, how do I do this without having it tied up in the court system for weeks/months—is there a ‘form’ that I can complete and file and have this all changed. The custodial parent has not had the said child in the residence in at least 2 months and the child has been “kicked out” and not lives with grandparent???

Please help[?]