Dear offshorefever:

Greetings. First, what do you mean by “filed” for a separation?

If you place your inheritance in an account (assuming it is cash) solely in your name, and don’t spend it during the marriage, it will definitely remain separate. I hope that answers your question. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If you have filed for a non contested seperation but spouse will not sign papers but you have. And plan to continue the divorce at the end of the one year waiting period. You know that you are receiving an inhertance, how do you make sure that the spouse cannot come in a try to take it from you? Is a declaration in the will directly to an individual protection?